Edinburgh Rugby vs Munster, Sat, 01/09/2012 - 20:00

Edinburgh Rugby came within minutes of defeating twice European champions Munster at Murrayfield this evening, thanks in no small part to a hat-trick from flying winger Tim Visser.

In a match dominated by the referee’s whistle, there was little sign of early season rustiness from the host’s returning internationalists, with Ross Rennie and Nick De Luca coming to the fore in the early exchanges.

Visser scored a first-half double to keep Michael Bradley’s side in touch with the Irishmen, who replied in kind through stand-off Ian Keatley, who also contributed eight points with the boot.

The second of Visser’s score was a sight to behold, as Rennie turned over Munster ball beneath the Edinburgh sticks, fed back-row colleague McInally who heads-up running broke up-field and allowed speedster Visser a run-in from 60 metres.

With the Edinburgh back-row causing havoc at the breakdown, the visitors struggled to get into the game until winger Luke O’Dea’s try, which came just minutes before the break.

Former All Black wing Doug Howlett chipped over the flat Edinburgh defence and, while Laidlaw looked odds on to clean up behind the try line, the ball bounced awkwardly across, evading the stand-off and finding the on-rushing O'Dea, before Keatley levelled with the conversion.

HALF-TIME: Edinburgh Rugby 10-10 Munster

Keatley added a further three points shortly after the resumption, which was promptly cancelled out by counterpart Laidlaw to leave the teams level once more. (13-13)

A well fashioned try from Munster wO’Dea gave the visitors a seven-point advantage going into the final quarter (13-20) but the home side threw everything at the red wall, eventually leading to another Visser try.

Good work again from Denton and De Luca allowed the big winger to sneak over in the corner and, while Laidlaw’s conversion sneaked past the post, the home side went in search of the score that would have won the game and a bonus point to boot.

However, it was not to be as the clock beat Michael Bradley’s side and the visitors claimed the spoils, leaving the hosts smarting with a losing bonus.

FINAL SCORE: Edinburgh Rugby 18 – 23 Munster

Th club now regroup and prepare to face the Blues on Friday in the first match to be held back in the old Arms Park.

Edinburgh Rugby: 15 Greig Tonks 14 Lee Jones 13 Nick De Luca 12 Ben Atiga 11 Tim Visser 10 Greig Laidlaw (captain) 9 Richie Rees; 1 John Yapp 2 Ross Ford 3 Geoff Cross 4 Grant Gilchrist 5 Sean Cox 6 David Denton 7 Ross Rennie 8 Stuart McInally

Replacements: 16 Andy Titterrell (on for Ford) 17 Allan Jacobsen (on for Yapp) 18 Geoff Cross (on for Nel) 19 Perry John Parker (on for Gilchrist) 20 Dimitri Basilaia (on for McInally) 21 Chris Leck (on for Rees) 22 Gregor Hunter 23 John Houston (on for Atiga)

Munster: 15 Denis Hurley 14 Doug Howlett (captain) 13 Cas Laulala 12 James Downey 11 Luke O’Dea 10 Ian Keatley 9 Duncan Williams; 1 Wian Du Preez 2 Damien Varley 3 BJ Botha 4 Donncha O’Callaghan 5 Billy Holland 6 Paddy Butler 7 Sean Dougall 8 James Coughlan

Replacements: 16 Mike Sherry (on for Varley) 17 Dave Kilcoyne (on for Du Preez) 18 Stephen Archer (on for Botha) 19 Dave Foley (on for Butler) 20 Barry O’Mahony (on for Dougall) 21 Peter Stringer (on for Williams) 22 Scott Deasy (on for Hurley) 23 Ivan Dineen (on for Laulala)

RaboDirect PRO12 Man of the Match: Tim Visser
Referee: Leighton Hodges
Attendance: 4050

Team lineups

Edinburgh Rugby