Honours even in U20 intercity derby

Honours even in U20 intercity derby

A dramatic U20 intercity derby ended in honours even as Glasgow Warriors U20 scored at the death to make it 28-28 at DAM Health Stadium.

Trailing 7-21 at the break, Edinburgh U20s fought back in tremendous fashion with hooker Cory Tait – who scored the capital side’s only try of the first-half – Brodie Young and Craig Davidson all crossing the whitewash.

With Edinburgh leading 28-21 heading into the final moments, it was the Warriors who would have the final word with replacement centre Aminio Bogidrau crashing over with the final play of the game.

Edinburgh Rugby U20s started the match the brighter of the two sides and saw plenty of possession in the opening stages.

Glasgow put together the first free-flowing move of the match however and when stand-off Richie Simpson broke free, the ball was fed back inside to Finlay Burgess who was stopped just short.

The ball was recycled back quickly however and back-row Adam Flynn was able to power over from only metres out.  With stand-off Simpson converting it was 0-7 after 10 minutes.

Glasgow soon doubled their advantage and this time it came following sustained pressure on the Edinburgh try line.

With the forward pack inching towards the whitewash, loosehead prop Ali Rogers was the man who broke free to bruise his way over.

With Simpson once again slotting home to make it 0-14, it was the travelling Warriors who held the early lead at DAM Health Stadium.

Edinburgh would hit back after Rogers try almost immediately however and worked the ball into Warriors’ territory thanks to a series of penalties.

After securing good lineout ball inside the Glasgow 22m, the ball broke to hooker Corey Tait who did excellently to propel himself over the whitewash.

Stand-off Harris Rutherford showcased his kicking ability with a well-angled conversion that brought the hosts within seven. [7-14]

Edinburgh continued to battle after working their way back into the match with hooker and captain Tait proving an ever-willing carrier in tight quarters.

Glasgow’s had impressed with a physical edge in the opening stages but it was a dazzling backline move which brought about their third try of the evening only minutes before half-time.

With the Edinburgh backline drifting wide, outside centre Duncan Munn showcased a shimmy and step to glide through a number of would-be defenders before sliding over for a spectacular solo score. With Simpson adding the extras it was 7-21 at the break.

Edinburgh shot out of the blocks to start the second-half and looked to be in for a well-worked score when Rutherford angled a cross-field kick to replacement right winger Noah Henry – who rose above his opposite man only to be brought down in the air illegally.

The hosts would cross the whitewash to close the gap however with the score arriving from the resulting penalty which Rutherford angled in the corner.

With the Edinburgh pack securing clean ball at the tail, a clinical drive saw hooker Tait touch down for his second try of the evening. With Rutherford converting it was just a seven-point game [14-21].

Edinburgh had their tails up and the game burst into life. A scrum penalty and resulting break from replacement hooker Jerry Blyth Lafferty brought Edinburgh into Glasgow territory, before the Warriors broke from their own 22m – end-to-end stuff in the capital.

Edinburgh rang the changes and the hosts’ replacements would make an instant impact.

After kicking a penalty into Warriors’ territory, scrappy lineout ball was picked up by Blyth Lafferty who made hard yards into the Glasgow 22m.

With numbers lining up wide, replacement scrum-half Brodie Young tricked everyone – throwing a wicked dummy before sniping under the sticks for the levelling score.

With replacement stand-off Luke Townsend adding the extras, it was all tied up in the Scottish capital. [21-21]

Edinburgh were exuding confidence and soon the capital side had the go-ahead score to complete the comeback.

With another penalty nudged into the Warriors 22m, a strong lineout drive saw the ball eventually recycled to replacement front-rower Craig Davidson who powered over for the all-important score.

Up stepped Townsend to slot home a tricky conversion from out making it 28-21 with not long left on the clock.

This match had proved dramatic from the get-go however and when Glasgow edged into Edinburgh territory with only minutes remaining, it was set up for a grandstand finish.

With Warriors peppering the Edinburgh try line, the ball was eventually whipped wide to replacement Aminio Bogidrau who crashed over from only metres out.

Glasgow’s Andy McLean has nervy job of converting to level it at the death, but the full-back made sure of it to make it 28-28.

Scoring order: 0-5; 0-7; 0-12; 0-14; 5-14; 7-14; 7-19; 7-21; HT; 12-21; 14-21; 19-21; 21-21; 26-21; 28-21; 28-26; 28-28

Edinburgh Rugby U20s

Tries: Tait (2), Young, Davidson Penalties: Conversions: Rutherford (2), Townsend (2)

Glasgow Warriors U20s

Tries: Flynn, Rogers, Munn, Bogidrau Penalties: Conversions: Simpson (3)

Scoring timeline:

10’ Glasgow try: No 6 Adam Flynn. Converted by 10 Richie Simpson [0-7]

19’ Glasgow try: No 1 Ali Rogers. Converted by 10 Richie Simpson [0-14]

22’ Edinburgh try: No 2 Corey Tait. Converted by 10 Harris Rutherford [7-14]

36’ Glasgow try: No 13 Duncan Munn. Converted by 10 Richie Simpson [7-21]


46’ Edinburgh try: No 2 Corey Tait. Converted by 10 Harris Rutherford 14-21

70’ Edinburgh try: No 21 Brodie Young. Converted by 22 Luke Townsend 21-21

75’ Edinburgh try: No 17 Craig Davidson. Converted by 22 Luke Townsend 28-21

80’ Glasgow try: No 23 Aminio Bogidrau Converted by 15 Andy McLean 28-28


Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Edinburgh Rugby.


Principal Partners