Second-half fightback secures victory in Parma

Second-half fightback secures victory in Parma

Edinburgh produced a second-half fightback to clinch a 24-19 BKT United Rugby Championship victory at Zebre Parma.

In a closely contested battle, Sean Everittt’s side made their opponents pay for a lack of discipline at Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi.

Edinburgh trailed for the majority of the game due to an early Gonzalo Garcia try and the boot of Giovanni Montemauri, but they eventually wore the Italians down.

They were awarded a penalty try in addition to scores from Boan Venter and Dave Cherry, and two conversions and a penalty from Ben Healy was enough to see them return home with four points in a game that saw flanker Hamish Watson make his 150th appearance for the club.

The hosts were quick out of the blocks and went in for the game’s opening try after just three minutes of the contest.

It was dangerman Simone Gesi who was the architect of the score as he broke through three tackles down the left wing before flipping the ball to scrum-half Garcia to cross. Montemauri converted from the touchline.

And after soaking up a period of Edinburgh pressure when strong defence denied the Scottish side’s rolling maul, Montemauri extended the advantage with a straightforward penalty.

Edinburgh finally got on the board seven minutes before the interval when Healy slotted a penalty but a disjointed first-half display left them with work to do after the interval.

Montemauri kicked another penalty early in the second half before Edinburgh got themselves right back into the game with 46 minutes on the clock.

Edinburgh were knocking on the door against a spirited Zebre rearguard and in the eighth phase, Venter managed the squeeze under the covering home defence to touch down, with Healy’s conversion making it 13-10.

But the home side would not lie down and Montemauri sent over a third penalty of the evening after Edinburgh were penalised for not releasing after a tackle.

Winger Harry Paterson was then sent to the bin for taking out his opposite man in the air when attempting to gather a high-ball.

Edinburgh went ahead for the first time with 12 minutes remaining when referee Ben Whitehouse went under the posts to award a penalty try after Dylan de Leeuw was yellow carded for hauling down a dangerous rolling maul and that left the capital side 17-16 ahead.

The visitors stretched their advantage as lack of discipline caught up with Zebre and it was again the maul that caused the damage as Cherry powered over with the Italian defence in disarray following three straight penalties deep in their own half.

Geronimo Prisciantelli’s late penalty secured a losing bonus-point for Zebre – their seventh of the season.

Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Edinburgh Rugby.


Principal Partners