Report: Edinburgh Rugby 31-5 Bath Rugby

Report: Edinburgh Rugby 31-5 Bath Rugby

Edinburgh ran in five tries tonight to secure a deserved 31-5 Scottish Building Society Pre-Season Series win against Bath Rugby at Hive Stadium.

On a soaking wet evening, Sean Everitt’s side proved too strong for the English Premiership club, with Paddy Harrison (2), Tom Dodd, Ben Vellacott and Adam McBurney all grabbing tries for the hosts.

Stand-off Cammy Scott added six points from the tee, while Bath hit back through a well-worked try from centre Max Wright.

With the rain lashing down, Edinburgh had Bath under pressure from the get-go, with the hosts camped inside the Bath 22m.

Despite a number of knock-ons, Edinburgh had scrum dominance from the first whstle, and that pressure turned into a series of penalties which Scott duly spiralled into the corner.

With a strong lineout drive, the hosts pushed to within inches of the Bath try-line and it was eventually hooker Harrison that managed to wrestle over for the opener. With Scott popping over the extras it was 7-0.

Edinburgh kept their foot on the gas and the hosts soon doubled their advantage after a slick handling move inside the Bath 22m.

With Scott slinging it into Wes Goosen, the outside centre evaded a would-be defender before offloading to Dodd who was lurking on the wing.

Dodd hit the ball at pace, stepped his opposite man and raced under the stick to make it 14-0 to Edinburgh.

Edinburgh were soon back in the Bath 22m with a series of penalties, with Scott putting boot to ball and sending the hosts into the corner.

A simple lineout, a strong drive and it was that man Harrison who managed to touch down for Edinburgh’s third try of the evening (19-0).

And then came the moment of the match.

With Bath sending the restart long. Edinburgh hit contact before working it wide to winger Jordan Edmunds.

The GB Sevens winger accelerated down the touchline, bringing Hive Stadium to its feet, before nudging through a chip from half-way.

With Bath retreating, the supporting Vellacott showcased his lethal speed and in a race to the line, it was the scrum-half who managed to get a hand on the ball before crashing through the advertising boards.

With Scott lashing through the extras, Edinburgh Rugby held a 26-0 lead at the break.

The second-half proved a far more turgid affair as both sides rang the changes at the break.

Bath had momentum after a series of penalties, with replacement 10 George Worboys pulling the strings for the revitalised visitors.

That pressure was soon converted into points. With Worboys slinging a short ball, centre Wright hit a sumptuous line to race over from 20m out. The conversion was missed and it was 26-5.

Although Edinburgh grabbed a fifth through McBurney – with the hooker adding the finishing touches to another lineout drive – the second-half was stop and start as both sides struggled to build phases in the poor conditions.

With the full-time whistle going and a 31-5 win secured, Sean Everitt’s side now turn their attention to the BKT URC opener away to Dragons RFC on Saturday 21 October.

Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Edinburgh Rugby.


Principal Partners