DAM Health Stadium


Edinburgh_logo_reverse copy
34 - 26
verses icon

Edinburgh’s Scottish Building Society pre-season friendly against London Scottish was abandoned with six minutes remaining, as the match ended 26-34 in favour of the visitors who impressed throughout the physical and open contest.


An emergency alarm signalled in the 74th minute and the match was eventually abandoned on health and safety grounds, with fans evacuated from the stadium complex.

Edinburgh Rugby Managing Director, Douglas Struth, said: “A stadium fire alarm was triggered accidentally by a member of the public in the Lothian Stand.

“Scottish Fire and Rescue Service attended the ground and no fire was identified. We’re pleased to report no one was hurt.

“We would once again like to thank supporters for their patience and understanding, as well as for the safe and orderly manner in which they left DAM Health Stadium tonight.

“Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.”

London Scottish scored six tries on the night and were deservedly in the lead before the match was eventually abandoned in the final stages.

Ritchie played the first 30 minutes, his first action since rupturing his hamstring while playing in Scotland’s win over England back in February.

Immelman looked sharp and scored the game’s first try after five minutes, starting and finishing the move.

London Scottish’s response was electric: three tries in seven minutes which had Edinburgh on their heels.

Robbie McCallum, back on home soil, had an early surge but Edinburgh were first to get points on the board.

Immelman, back after a lay-off with a knee injury, started and finished the move with a break up the right in the fifth minute.

The full-back looked to have played in Charlie Shiel for the try. The scrum-half was stopped short but managed to pop the ball up for the supporting Immelman to score. Savala converted.

After the bright start things began to unravel for the hosts. Josh Gillespie streaked down the left wing from halfway to score and Nathan Chamberlain’s conversion put Scottish back on level terms.

Two minutes later they scored again, Hayden Hyde bursting through a huge gap in the Edinburgh defence. The home side then found themselves 17-7 down in the 19th-minute when Noah Ferdinand scurried home in the left-hand corner.

Edinburgh’s discomfort was made more acute just after the half hour when scrum-half Luca Petrozzi was played in by Ferdinand for try No 4.

Edinburgh needed to find a way back and their wingers provided the route map in the final minutes of the half. Firstly, Blain went over from close range after a period of concerted pressure and then Henry dived over with seconds on the clock after a fine break from Savala. The stand-off converted them both to reduce Scottish’s lead to 24-21 at half-time.

Blain’s second try of the match five minutes into the second half edged Edinburgh ahead but any suggestion that London Scottish might crumble was quickly quashed. Two tries in six minutes put last season’s Championship basement club back in control.

Full-back Cam Anderson got the first, exploiting another big hole in the home side’s defence, and No 8 Cam King then bulldozed his way over in the corner to put Scottish 34-26 ahead before the was game was abandoned with six minutes remaining.

Kick-off 8:00 pm